Welcome to volunteer at Uganda Lodge
To volunteer at Uganda Lodge is ideal, both for short and long term. We are set amongst the rolling hills of South West Uganda, 40kms past Mbarara and very close the main road, please see map here
When you volunteer with us, you will be spending time at Ruhanga Development School. You will help to advance its facilities and work directly with local children, you can also volunteer at the medical facility or doing community development work.
You are also welcome to stay in our guest house, Uganda Lodge on your way south for a mountain gorilla trekking, safari in Queen Elizabeth National Park between other tours or to visit Rwanda, Burundi and the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Although Uganda Lodge is privately owned and managed by Denis Aheirwe, it is run as a social enterprise business and visitors who stay here can be assured that all profits from the accommodation plus the safaris he runs will be used to enhance the living conditions of villagers in the community.
We believe we offer the best value volunteer experience in Uganda if not Africa itself, so why not visit us and discover the ‘Pearl of Africa’ for yourself?
- Established in 2007 with only 1 nursery class of 10 children
- 550 children across 3 nursery and 7 primary school classes
- 15 teachers plus 15 non-teaching staff including cooks, matrons, security, drivers and cleaners
- Students aged 3-19 years – assigned to a class based on exam results, not age
- 30% of the students board at the school during term time
- We do not receive any financial support from the Government
- Student fees per term are approximately £6 for day students and £35 for boarders
- We offer subsidised transport for day students living a few kilometres from the school
Ann McCarthy, first visited Ruhanga in 2005 and met Denis Aheirwe. She was so impressed with what he was trying to achieve for his community that she went home and started fundraising. Read more >>
Make a donation
The progress at Uganda Lodge has been down to the generosity of people like yourselves who make donations to the project. More >>